Advise for Phone Scams
You should register your phone numbers with the National Do Not Call Registry. This made a big difference when I did it, stopped alot of these calls, but some will still get through. Worth doing.
If your number is on the registry and you still get calls, they’re probably from scammers ignoring the law. Hang up, and report them at www.donotcall.gov.
Tips for Avoiding Malware from Spam Emails
- Ensure that you have a strong virus security program installed on your computer, and that it is protecting both your computer and your web browser.
- Always double check the email address that your emails have come from.
- Hover over any links in the email and you can see where they are going to. If the URL looks strange then this is a good indicator of something suspicious.
- Be wary of attached downloadable files. If any are attached to the email, check the file name. If these contain things you don’t recognise or trust, do not open them.
- Trust your instincts. If something seems strange, read over the email header, body, and sender address carefully and compare it to any past emails you may have received from the company.
- When in doubt, directly contact the business in question. The staff will be able to clarify if the email is legitimate or not.
- If you have identified it as a scam email, send the details to the company being impersonated.
- Never click on anything you don’t trust.
- Keep vigilant!